[ RESOURCES ]
Articles, Essays and Fiction -
A collection of writings related to Philip K. Dick and of interest to fans.
Brought to you by philipKdickFans.com.
Articles and Interviews
If you have some interesting prose, original fiction or literary criticism that you would like to contribute to this anthology, send an e-mail to Jason.
- PKD Otaku #20 - The latest edition of the informative and insightful fanzine devoted to the work of Philip K. Dick is now online at Philipkdickfans.com. Thanks to Patrick Clark for sharing his work with PKD fans. Click here for past issues of PKD Otaku. (6/18/09)
- Androids, Drugs and Scramble Suits: Technological Society in the Science Fiction of Philip K. Dick - Dissertation by Brett Cherry submitted to Imperial College of London. An in-depth look at how technology shapes reality in the novels of PKD. (March 2009)
- Three Articles by Patrick Clark - A hat trick of PKD content includes:
- The Secret Of The Soft-drink Stand Explained At Last! - An analysis of PKD's Time Out Of Joint
- The Doctor Will See You Now: the Evolution of Dr. Futurity
- Phildickian - A Definition
- Untitled (Very) Short Story by Philip K. Dick - Included by Philip K. Dick in a letter, this vignette imagines an elderly Phil Dick having it out with sci-fi author Harlan Ellison. (April 2007)
- Three Sci-Fi Authors View the Future - An excerpt from Scholastic Voice (1974) with original quotes from Philip K. Dick speculating on the future of humanity. (April 2007)
- William Gibson on PKD - A series of quotes from the cyberpunk author about Philip K. Dick's influence (or lack thereof) on his work. (April 2007)
- My Life in Stillness: White As Day - Unconfirmed long-lost Philip K. Dick poem allegedly written in a personal letter and included in a 1983 anthology titled "Last Wave." (April 2007)
- "Horselover Fat and The New Messiah" 1981 Interview with Philip K. Dick conducted by John Boonstra. Hartford Advocate April 22, 1981. Valis, The Divine Invasion and PKD's personal and professional lives are among the topics in this revealing interview. (February, 2007)
- Phil K. Dick Interview Slash, May 1980. A stream of consciousness discussion about the politics of the day. (February, 2007)
- 1971 Interview With Philip K. Dick Arranged by Loren Cavit, Redwood High School, Larkspur, California. A discussion of the short story "Roog." (February, 2007)
- A Scanner Darkly Movie Review - by Jason Koornick (July 2, 2006)
- "The Most Brilliant Sci-Fi Mind on Any Planet: Philip K. Dick" Rolling Stone Article (November 6, 1975) - The classic article by Paul Williams is available for download here.
- Dr. Bloodmoney - A summary of the PKD novel by Brian Davies. (November 9, 2005)
- The Relationship Between Humans and Machines: Through the Eyes of Philip K. Dick - An analyis by Eli Eisenberger (May, 2005)
- Brian Davies' excellent Summaries and Commentaries on these Philip K. Dick novels:
- From Science Fiction To Postmodernism In Three Novels Of American Writer Philip K. Dick - A new thesis by Meva Ayse Akgiray.
- Philip K. Dick and the Umbrella of Light - Originally published in 1975 by author Angus Taylor, this 33-page essay was one of the first extended critical examinations of PKD's work and is available here for the first time since it's publication. Thanks to Angus for sharing this insightful interpretation of Phil Dick's work. (PDF file is 777K).
- Does Anyone Have The Right Time, Please? - A new perspective on time travel narratives in the 1950s & 1960s. This dissertation by Sinead Boyd examines the metaphysical questions raised in Philip K. Dick's Counter Clock World
- On Political Satire in Philip K. Dick's The Man Who Japed - by Frank C. Bertrand
- Metaphysical Quotations from the novels of Philip K Dick - Andrew May has compiled a collection of quotes from PKD's science fiction novels that deal with philosophy, religion and the meaning of human existence.
- An Interview With America's Most Brilliant Science-Fiction Writer (Philip K. Dick) - by Joe Vitale from The Aquarian, 1978. Contributed by Frank Bertrand.
- Interview with Pierre-Paul Durastanti - Philip K. Dick French Translator interview by Frank Bertrand, June 2001.
- An Afterword to Philip K. Dick's Valis by Kim Stanley Robinson. From Thrust 1998, contributed by Frank Bertrand.
- Divinely Inspired - Andrew Tidmarsh talks to Lawrence Sutin, biographer of Philip K. Dick. From Interzone, Feb. 1992, contributed by Frank Bertrand.
- Philip K. Dick by 1975: Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said Review -
by George Turner, contributed by Frank Bertrand. Reprinted with permission from Philip K. Dick: Electric Shepherd.
- Philip K. Dick Letters to Kris Hummel - These letters written in the last months of Philip K. Dick's life are available for the first time on philipKdick.com. Thanks, Kris for sharing these gems with PKD fans.
- The Minority Report on 'Minority Report' - Check out this exclusive interview with 'Minority Report' Executive Producer Gary Goldman (also the co-screenwriter of 'Total Recall').
- Gilbert De Meester's Thesis: The Universe Of Philip K. Dick - Systemic Analysis (1982)- Now available online in English
- Four Levels of Reality in Philip K. Dick's Time Out of Joint - An essay originally published in Extrapolation, Summer 1998. Translated from French and used with permission.
- Dear Phil Letter #6 - Frank's sixth epistolary discourse with Phil Dick about his connection to the world's philosophical traditions.
- Linda Hartinian & Frier McCollister Interview - A 1999 radio interview with the director and producer of the Flow My Tears The Policeman Said stage play. Transcribed by Frank Bertrand. (Part 2)
- Dear Phil Letter #5 - Frank's fifth epistolary discourse with Phil Dick about Martian Time Slip and artistic creation.
- Dear Phil Letter #4 - Frank's fourth epistolary discourse with Phil Dick about pre-Socratic philosophy and Carl Jung.
- Philip K. Dick's Final Interview - A final interview with science fiction's boldest visionary, who talks candidly about Blade Runner, inner voices and the temptations of Hollywood. Transcribed in two parts from Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 3, June 1982. Thanks to Frank Bertrand.
- The Philip K. Dick Van Dyke Show - A review of a radio show performed before a live audience on March 24, 1989 by members of The Post-Void Radio Theater and Shockwave at Minicon 24, which was held over Easter weekend at the Radisson South Hotel in Bloomington, Minnesota. The ostensible premise of PKDVDS involves Philip K. Dick Van Dyke, who is the head writer for the Nicholas Brady Television Show (produced by Leo Bulero). Thanks to Frank Bertrand for providing the review to the site.
- Interview with Tod Machover - Composer of the Valis Opera based on the Philip K. Dick novel. Machover discusses the forces which led to the creation of this piece and Philip K. Dick's influence on his work. Transcribed by Frank Bertrand.
- Dear Phil Letter #3 - Frank's third epistolary discourse with Phil Dick about the influence of Spinoza, Plotinus and Gnosticism on his work.
- Updated! PKD Dissertations - A list compiled by Frank Bertrand of all the known theses and dissertations written about Philip K. Dick and his fiction. Three are available online.
- Is The Eye In Sky The Author's? -
An examination of Philip K. Dick's Radio Free Albemuth by Steve Sneyd. Originally published in UK's Terrible Work, #1, Spring 1993.
- Who Are The Toymakers? An essay on Ridley Scott's Blade Runner
by Hrafnhildur Blöndal
- Bumbejimas: PKD And Me - By Ed Meskys, "I recently finished the book PHILIP K. DICK, IN HIS OWN WORDS by Gregg
Rickman which brought back many memories of the time I knew him and visited him almost weekly." From NIEKAS, No. 34, 1986 resurrected by Frank Bertrand.
- Kach-22: A review of Philip K. Dick's Zap Gun - Originally published in Psychotic November, 1967. This obscure review is by Richard E. Geis, the legendary and award winning long time fanzine writer, editor and
publisher, in particular of The Alien Critic. Thanks to Frank Bertrand for digging it up.
- Philip K. Dick: Confessions Of A SF Artist by George
Cain and Dana Longo. Interview conducted circa Sep/Oct 1980. Published in
Denver Clarion, October 23, 1980. Thanks to Frank Bertrand for re-discovering this old interview.
- Philip K. Dick: The Real Thing - by Bruce Gillespie. This article first appeared in SF Commentary 9 from Feb. of 1970 and was reprinted in Philip K. Dick: Electric Shepherd edited by Bruce. Here you will find some great insights into PKD's fiction.
- Dear Phil Letter #2 - Frank's second epistolary discourse with Phil Dick about the influence of German philosophy on his work.
- "How Jeet Heer Betrayed Philip K. Dick Admirers to Marxist Literary Critics" - Frank Bertrand's criticism of the controversial article "Marxist Literary Critics Are Following Me!" in a recent issue of LinguaFranca.
- Between the Idea and the Reality: The Hollow Men in Time Out of Joint - A comparision of PKD's Time Out Of Joint with T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men by Frank Bertrand.
- Dear Phil: An Epistolary Discourse - A letter written by Frank Bertrand from the point of view of all writers. In it Frank shares his thoughts with Phil about philosophy and Phil's claim that he was an "acosmic pantheist".
- My Life and Philip K. Dick:
An Interview with Bruce Gillespie - Frank Bertrand's interview with the editor of Philip K. Dick: Electric Shepherd, a series of essays about the work of PKD. He is also the publisher of SF Commentary, a science fiction fanzine from Australia that started in 1969. Bruce was a friend of Phil's and a great admirer of his work.
- The Non-science Fiction Novels Of Philip K. Dick (1928Ė82) - The transcription of a talk by Bruce Gillespie about some of Phil's overlooked fiction.
- "Canada Gains A Noted Science Fiction Writer" - A long-lost article reviewing Philip K. Dick's appearance at the Vancouver Science Fiction convention in 1972 from the Vancouver Provence. Thanks to Frank Bertrand for providing this article.
- "Science-fiction...comes of age" - A long-lost article previewing Philip K. Dick's appearance at the Vancouver Science Fiction convention in 1972 from the Vancouver Provence. Thanks to Frank Bertrand for providing this article.
- On The Quick And The Convenient - A review of Andrew M. Butler's "The Pocket Essential Philip K. Dick" by Frank Bertrand.
- Frank C. Bertrand on PKD: An Interview - philipKdick.com's resident philosopher discusses literature, PKD's life experiences and influences as well as his interview with the author.
- On Diaphragms, Ontology and Philip K. Dick:
An Interview with Andrew M. Butler by Frank C. Bertrand - An interview with the author of the new Pocket Essentials book on Philip K. Dick.
- Brian Aldiss on Philip K Dick - A review by Andrew May.
- "Three Sci-Fi Authors View the Future" - A piece from Scholastic Voice, 1974 which features quotes by Philip K. Dick. (contributed by Patrick Clark)
- A Conversation With Philip K. Dick By Richard A. Lupoff, from Science Fiction Eye, August 198. (contributed by Frank Bertrand).
- Reality, Religion, and Politics in the Fiction of Philip K. Dick - By Aaron Barlow. A series of essays on the writing and ideas of Philip K. Dick presented in eight chapters. This in-depth look at the philosophies behind Dick's SF and mainstream novels was written for Aaron's dissertation.
- On the definition of SF: A Letter by Philip K. Dick - A letter written in 1975 that has previously only appeared in French. (A working translation by Jeremy Crampton, also contributed by Frank Bertrand)
- So I Donít Write About Heroes: An Interview with Philip K. Dick - Conducted by Uwe Anton & Werner Fuchs in the fall of 1977. This was the first English publication of the interview. It had previously been published three times in German. From: SF EYE, #14, Spring 1996 (transcribed and contributed by Frank C. Bertrand)
[from: SF EYE, #14, Spring 1996, pp. 37-46]
- Missing or Problem Interviews with Philip K. Dick - Compiled by Frank Bertrand. Many interviews with the author took place in the course of his life both on and off the record. Find out about some that may have been lost along the way. Can you help us find these missing conversations?
- Hour 25: A Talk With Philip K. Dick hosted by Mike Hodel. KPFK-FM, North Hollywood, California. June 26, 1976 (transcribed by Frank Bertrand).
- Even Sheep Can Upset Scientific Detachment by Philip Purser. From: London Daily Telegraph, no. 506, July 19, 1974, pp. 27-30. How much of the futuristic and the metaphysical in his work is derived from Philip K. Dick's Californian past? (contributed by Frank Bertrand)
- The Work Of Philip K. Dick by John Brunner. From: New Worlds, No. 166, September 1966. (contributed by Frank Bertrand)
- The Real Ideas of Philip K. Dick by Michael Moorcock. From Vector, No. 39, April, 1966. (contributed by Frank Bertrand)
- UBIK - Two Polish Views - Edited by Frank Bertrand.(KOINOS KOSMOS June 1982)
- The Anxiety of Influence: About writing about the writing of Philip K. Dickís The Man in the High
Castle and Katharine Burdekinís Swastika Night. by Lucy Sussex From: SF EYE, #15, Fall 1997. (contributed by Frank Bertrand)
- The Tangled History of PKD's The Unteleported Man. Compiled by Patrick Clark
- A Not-So Distant Voice: My Brief Encounter With (the spirit of) Philip K. Dick. A True Story by Jason Koornick
- I was looking for UBIK at AltaVista ... Relections on correspondance with Philip K. Dick by Claudia Krenz
- By Frank Bertrand . . .
Reviews of Philip K. Dick Novels & Stories by Jason K (unless otherwise specified)